Open Night provided our school community with a wonderful opportunity to CELEBRATE all the fantastic learning that happens every day at Highvale Primary School.

The night started with a beautiful performance by the school choir who sang with energy and skill! I really enjoyed the Canon singing – this is where students sing different tunes at the same time which creates harmonies and interesting rhythms. After that, I completed my Passport which included participating in a range of interesting and engaging activities that teachers had prepared, which included using sizzling starts to make writing interesting, watching robots that students have programmed in action, playing English and Mathematics games and moving a snake using magnets! The concert band rehearsal was another highlight, demonstrating the student’s musical talents – playing in a band together certainly requires practice and persistence! I also enjoyed taking to parents at the sausage sizzle, provided by our dedicated PFA and parent volunteers.
Thank you to all parents, students and teachers who attended the Open Night and contributed to its success.

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their support of the book fair. Each year the book fair is run by parent volunteers and without them, the book fair would not be possible. As a result of the school community’s generous support of the book fair, we sold $3290 worth of books! Part of these sales goes back to the school to support valuable school programs, including purchasing more books for our library.

On Monday I attended the Young Leaders program, which our year 6 student leaders attend each year. This program is run by our local Waverley Links school network. The students spent two days participating in a range of challenging tasks to further develop their leadership skills with student leaders from other schools. Anna Burke MP Federal Member for Chisholm was an engaging guest speaker who encouraged the students to think about the values that leaders need to perform their roles well. These included our school values of respect, responsibility, honesty and integrity and commitment, as well as good listening and public speaking skills. I am sure that our school leaders will be able to take what they have learnt through this program and apply it to their roles at school and later on in life.

Finally I would like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday and to thank the school community for such a warm welcome I have received in my new role. I am really looking forward to all the exciting and engaging learning that is planned for next term.

Yours in education

Megan Ganter

X