Lava Lamp Experiment
The whole school focus for the Concept Curriculum this term is Change. Level 3/4 are exploring change through chemical science (states of matter) and health and the human body. We started this term by completing a science experiment in which every student developed their personal understanding of the five science inquiry skills.
- questioning and predicting
- planning and conducting
- recording and processing
- analysing and evaluating
The experiment was – What would happen when water, oil, food colouring and a water-soluble tablet are combined in either a cup or soft drink bottle? Students recorded (by writing or representing their understanding in annotated drawings), their prediction, what they observed and finally a more scientific explanation of what happened.
- “When different ingredients are added together there is a reaction” – Akshadh
- “We learnt about particles and why water and oil don’t mix” – Abi
- “Food colouring doesn’t mix with oil” – Ella
- “It was great fun watching the bubbles going up and down” – Isabella
- “We would recommend you trying it out at home” – Scully
- “It was super cool watching the food dye split into the water” – Grace